Skip to main content

Taco grip smallies on the fly

Just let me take time to describe the taco grip smallie on the fly. These are bronze, green and black wolves of the water. The small mouth bass is not the most beautiful fish in the water but truly deserves the attention that it gets. These fish are not in the most beautiful scenic places like trout or steelhead are, they are a working class fish just like the loyal enthusist Like Chris Vaughan(pictured above) of the smallie talk podcast that dedicate their time, money and energy to these fish.

Arguably the best fighting fish in the warm water category, these fish are athletes, gangsters of the water that eat flies viciously without hesitation. When these fish take you feel the line straighten immediately, while the drag begins to rip. They can spit a fly out just as easily with their high flying acrobatics right after setting the hook. The camouflage that these fish have in their native waters is a perfect blend of stealth, perfectly mottled to match the structure, water clarity and creek bottom of the waters they swim in.

In the world of Fly fishing around the Midwest, there isn't a whole lot of things more satisfying then a big bronze back smallmouth bass. The fight that even the smaller sized fish put up is amazing. The acrobatics out of the water that these fish showcase are second to none and highly addictive. These fish are voracious eaters, take many styles of flies and are easily accesable anywhere in the Midwest and abroad the United States.

I've picked the brains of fellow anglers and asked opinions on flies, after much research (fishing) haha.. that's great research and narrowed it down to 5 essential smallmouth bass flies for the Midwest:

Clouser Minnow This fly need no intro, it slays bass and is very versatile. This fly is easy to tie and can be used in shallow and deep presentations. Created by Bob Clouser for bass and other warm water species, has caught more fish in both salt and fresh water than most flies. Learn to tie it from Tightline Productions

Sparkle Minnow- This is one I seen on instagram check out the midwest drift(my long time fly tying inspiration) I had great success for multiple species with this fly after tying up a few and jamming over to the local retention pond. This fly slays Smallies, Largemouth, Crappie, White bass, and just about any other hungry fish. Simple and effective with only a few basic tying material and a sharp hook and Bam, you're rippin lips.

The near 'nuff sculpin- I found this fly pattern on www.flyfishohio.com Called near 'nuff because it looks near enough like a sculpin. This fly is another one that can be very productive, With fish tight to the bottom or feeding in deeper water, You can tie this on and have good success. The sculpin look similar to small baitfish that hug the river bottom and bass absolutely love. Barred Olive like the one pictured is my favorite color other than crayfish orange.

The wooly bugger- I couldnt make this list without the ever present wooly bugger. This was the first fly I ever tyed. Simple and impressionistic, this fly can immitate many things, a minnow, crayfish or leech. A bugger can be tyed in almost any color and hook size, weighted or not weighted, bead head, cone head or any other combination you can imagine. I would recommend this fly first almost all the time to a new fly angler.

The top water popper-Last but defenitely not least ( I also start from the top down in fly fishing when choosing flies to fish ) I have a selection of top water flies from Poppers, terrestrials, and gurglers all with attention grabbing, noise making action to attract the ever hungry small mouth bass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back Cast

I am often asked "how did you get into fly fishing?' or " you fly fish?" The next comment is " I always wanted to learn how to do that but I think it's hard." Truth is I was one of those fascinated, but intimidated people. As a kid I would wake up early on Saturday mornings to watch the now late, great Tony Wejebe on Spanish Fly , or Walter's Cay Chronicles as they traveled all over the world and threw these beautifully created flies across the most remote and distant places all over the ocean and world. To me these places seemed so magical and far away. I would sit there in the early mornings, legs crossed with a big bowl of cereal, mesmerized by these fishing journeys. This intrigue stayed with me and in the back of my mind for quite a long time. I would often watch videos on Youtube as an adult of far off fly fishing destinations. This fly curiosity stayed with me until one of my random Cabelas trips to the bargain cave. I paced aro

First Cast

"What the??" Is what my wife said as I told her I was creating a blog about Fly fishing. I've been looking at ways to create, express and waste time for my favorite hobby. I've spent so much money, time and energy chasing fish from my home state of the Arizona desert all the way to Central Indiana, where I live now. I don't really know what I'm doing with a blog, but I'm stubborn (my wife will agree) and won't give up easily. What I hope for this blog is exciting content that I think is important in fly fishing. Tag my blog on instagram  @brandonkypreos , I want to to give opinions, reviews and advice to the best of my knowledge. I'll talk about my daily experiences on the water. Don't expect me to give you my #langitudes ,haha. I want to expand the readers and my knowledge and perception. I'm excited for this opportunity to express my love for fly fishing and waste some time in this cold Indiana winter. Tight lines!                  

Spring Fling

Pond Fishing 101 is here and It's #theweekendwade annual Spring Fling and spring has sprung. About time the cold and snow moved on and let the sun out and the grass get greened. I'm so sick of ice, snow and cold that I'm celebrating the first day of spring by working overtime! Lol, just kidding I can not wait one more day to get out and hit the water. Usually the ponds and shallower water is what I spend most my time around this time of the year. They warm up faster and are typically alot more productive and accessible with the rain we typically get during the months or March and April. The ponds are always a good choice when the rain is in, they don't get muddy and with the increased water flow I target the inlets and have damn good success with crappie, bass, and sunfish. These ponds are all over Indy and a lot of other areas like business districts and housing developments. I spot any water I see while driving ( squirrel ) and immediately think there is bass in t