Skip to main content

Clouser for the win.


Clouser for the win! that is what I yelled out loud as I hooked my first white bass ever on a creek that has yet to be named ( that's my spot! I'm not sharing.) This fishing trip was just random after a chat with another guy at the fly shop Fly Masters of Indianapolis He mentions that the white bass should be running, I wasn't even there for pan fish flies, I was on my usual carp fly material hunt for an order of flies that I was tying up for another angler ( hit me up for some flies anytime, message me or contact me through email if your interested.) So after checking out I quickly headed towards the creek in a hurry. I always keep my waders and a 6wt in the car, with some general bass flies and a carp box.

As soon as I get there I see 3 other cars there and think to myself "this was a bust" I immediately think this was a waste of time and gas, I kinda like fishing by myself or with one other buddy. I quickly slide my pants off and am now in my boxers in a parking lot, while trying to get into my waders ad quick as possible without someone seeing my big white ass! I end up not being seen (I think) slip on my wading boots. Btw, To my wife if your reading this I would really love some new wading boots, Thanks. Put together my rod and reel, feed my leader and tippet through the guides and tie on a Chartreuse clouser that I had just tied a few week ago in the middle of winter one night when I had cabin fever, I'm right about there right now with this cold weather, I hate winter. I rush down the trail to the creek and begin casting while walking into the creek. About 5 short casts in, I feel the sharp tug and the head shake of my first White bass on the fly! I yell Clouser for the win and quickly get a weird look from the one other guy that was bobber fishing a short distance away from me. The look on his face and the "WTF" expression was funny to me as I reel my first fish in.
I quickly land the bass and snap a quick picture and release the fish back to the creek. Now for the next 6 hours I catch more than 30 fish on the same clouser in the same deep pool that I had occupied for hours. I finally look at my phone and see that its about 530 p.m and it's about that time that my loving, caring and understanding wife gets home( see what I did there, she supports my fishing passion.) Well at that time I feel my phone vibrate and a realize my wife is calling me while she is on her way home and the sun is going down. In her normal caring and curious voice she ask me "So what did you do today?" That's when I told her catch fish and play outside, She sounded confused when she said "ok" and then asked me "did you do the chores I asked you to do?" That's when she remembered my ADHD and figured I got nothing completed, she was right. The one thing I did get right was the decision to hit #theweekendwade and destroy a clouser or 2 and catch a grip of white bass!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back Cast

I am often asked "how did you get into fly fishing?' or " you fly fish?" The next comment is " I always wanted to learn how to do that but I think it's hard." Truth is I was one of those fascinated, but intimidated people. As a kid I would wake up early on Saturday mornings to watch the now late, great Tony Wejebe on Spanish Fly , or Walter's Cay Chronicles as they traveled all over the world and threw these beautifully created flies across the most remote and distant places all over the ocean and world. To me these places seemed so magical and far away. I would sit there in the early mornings, legs crossed with a big bowl of cereal, mesmerized by these fishing journeys. This intrigue stayed with me and in the back of my mind for quite a long time. I would often watch videos on Youtube as an adult of far off fly fishing destinations. This fly curiosity stayed with me until one of my random Cabelas trips to the bargain cave. I paced aro

First Cast

"What the??" Is what my wife said as I told her I was creating a blog about Fly fishing. I've been looking at ways to create, express and waste time for my favorite hobby. I've spent so much money, time and energy chasing fish from my home state of the Arizona desert all the way to Central Indiana, where I live now. I don't really know what I'm doing with a blog, but I'm stubborn (my wife will agree) and won't give up easily. What I hope for this blog is exciting content that I think is important in fly fishing. Tag my blog on instagram  @brandonkypreos , I want to to give opinions, reviews and advice to the best of my knowledge. I'll talk about my daily experiences on the water. Don't expect me to give you my #langitudes ,haha. I want to expand the readers and my knowledge and perception. I'm excited for this opportunity to express my love for fly fishing and waste some time in this cold Indiana winter. Tight lines!                  

Spring Fling

Pond Fishing 101 is here and It's #theweekendwade annual Spring Fling and spring has sprung. About time the cold and snow moved on and let the sun out and the grass get greened. I'm so sick of ice, snow and cold that I'm celebrating the first day of spring by working overtime! Lol, just kidding I can not wait one more day to get out and hit the water. Usually the ponds and shallower water is what I spend most my time around this time of the year. They warm up faster and are typically alot more productive and accessible with the rain we typically get during the months or March and April. The ponds are always a good choice when the rain is in, they don't get muddy and with the increased water flow I target the inlets and have damn good success with crappie, bass, and sunfish. These ponds are all over Indy and a lot of other areas like business districts and housing developments. I spot any water I see while driving ( squirrel ) and immediately think there is bass in t