Skip to main content

Back Cast

I am often asked "how did you get into fly fishing?' or " you fly fish?" The next comment is " I always wanted to learn how to do that but I think it's hard." Truth is I was one of those fascinated, but intimidated people. As a kid I would wake up early on Saturday mornings to watch the now late, great Tony Wejebe on Spanish Fly, or Walter's Cay Chronicles as they traveled all over the world and threw these beautifully created flies across the most remote and distant places all over the ocean and world. To me these places seemed so magical and far away. I would sit there in the early mornings, legs crossed with a big bowl of cereal, mesmerized by these fishing journeys.

This intrigue stayed with me and in the back of my mind for quite a long time. I would often watch videos on Youtube as an adult of far off fly fishing destinations. This fly curiosity stayed with me until one of my random Cabelas trips to the bargain cave. I paced around browsing at outdoor stuff (like I usually do and it makes my wife really frustrated) Picking up, rifling through and gazing at all the merchandise loaded on the walls and covering the floors.

Eventually I came across this a Cabelas "prestige" rod & reel 6 weight 4 piece combo. It was dark green with shiny yellow cursive writing on the main rod section. The line was bright yellow, wrapped around a lightweight reel with a sticker that said $89.99. Almost immediately I knew I had to have it. I Picked it up jiggled and snapped the rod around, so it looked like I knew what I was doing. I had no clue how to cast a fly, what flies I would use or where to fly fish in Central Indiana. These questions went away so fast as I basically sprinted to the checkout and buy this rod I really didn't have the money for and was not returnable to the store.

As soon as I got to the car I picked up my phone and called my wife and sent her a snap chat of my latest impulse buy. Needless to say she wasn't overly happy for me to spend the last of my money on this "fishing pole" as she called it. Like a excited little kid (i'm actually a 300lbs big burly guy that people say looks mean, I work at a maximum security prison) I rushed to the closest retention pond and eagerly tried to cast. Quickly I learned how fly fishing can be the most expensive (besides golf) way to get pissed off. I tried a few cast, began to cuss under my breath and become very frustrated. Again, I'm stubborn and wasn't going to just give up. Remember, I couldn't take this back. I was stuck with it. Eventually this afternoon came to and end and I didn't even successfully complete a cast of more than 10 feet.

Day after day I continued to slowly improve my casting techniques and fly fishing knowledge, I joined fly fishing groups on Facebook like, Indiana Fly Fishing, Renegades on the fly, a good group of great fishermen that have a awesome sense of humor, I also joined Fly Fish Food Which is ran by some very knowledgeable guys with great info. I learned quickly and begin to improve and expand my fishing. I began to love the rhythm of the cast and the skill and art it took to chuck the fly out farther and farther. Fishing has always been something I loved, so I had no issue spend all my daytime hours on the river.

For me fly fishing has gave me something to put my energy into and keeps me outside and in the water (my dad always called me Fish) The fight of the fish and the challenge it gives is the most entertaining way for me to spend my time. Although I have many interests fly fishing is something I truly will never get bored with. It is a rabbit hole I have jumped into head first and continue to pursue. I've met good people, traveled to beautiful places, and seen very scenic stretches of water chasing any species in the river, lake, or stream. This is the back story of how I found myself knee deep in the local rivers, lakes and streams chucking flies at anything with gills. Tight lines!

Comments

  1. I like how you incorporated your Dad in your story.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Cast

"What the??" Is what my wife said as I told her I was creating a blog about Fly fishing. I've been looking at ways to create, express and waste time for my favorite hobby. I've spent so much money, time and energy chasing fish from my home state of the Arizona desert all the way to Central Indiana, where I live now. I don't really know what I'm doing with a blog, but I'm stubborn (my wife will agree) and won't give up easily. What I hope for this blog is exciting content that I think is important in fly fishing. Tag my blog on instagram  @brandonkypreos , I want to to give opinions, reviews and advice to the best of my knowledge. I'll talk about my daily experiences on the water. Don't expect me to give you my #langitudes ,haha. I want to expand the readers and my knowledge and perception. I'm excited for this opportunity to express my love for fly fishing and waste some time in this cold Indiana winter. Tight lines!                  

Spring Fling

Pond Fishing 101 is here and It's #theweekendwade annual Spring Fling and spring has sprung. About time the cold and snow moved on and let the sun out and the grass get greened. I'm so sick of ice, snow and cold that I'm celebrating the first day of spring by working overtime! Lol, just kidding I can not wait one more day to get out and hit the water. Usually the ponds and shallower water is what I spend most my time around this time of the year. They warm up faster and are typically alot more productive and accessible with the rain we typically get during the months or March and April. The ponds are always a good choice when the rain is in, they don't get muddy and with the increased water flow I target the inlets and have damn good success with crappie, bass, and sunfish. These ponds are all over Indy and a lot of other areas like business districts and housing developments. I spot any water I see while driving ( squirrel ) and immediately think there is bass in t